Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Look It Over

For whatever reason, I was unable to log into my blog site yesterday to send out my update. My apologies. I did not forget about you all.

For today, I have a reminder for all of you. Please look at your agreements and contracts to see if there is any provision in there that permits or the requires the payment of attorneys' fees in the event of litigation arising out of the agreement or contract. I know this sounds basic, but it is the cornerstone of any particular litigation.

Whether or not you have the right to recover fees or, conversely, could be responsible for the payment of someone else's fees if you lose is often the life or death distinction between filing suit and settling. I do not think it is news to any of you that lawsuits and lawyers cost big money. Worse, that big money becomes huge money if you end up on the hook for the other guy's fees.

So, before you start assessing your rights and dreaming of all the things you're going to do to the other guy for screwing up your contract, you want and need to see just how much it could cost you to realize your vision.

Please, please, please look it over.

No comments: